Sunday, July 30, 2006

History

Tonight I attended my 10 year reunion. Let me preface it by saying--I was on the planning committee. That means I couldn't jus enjoy the experience, I had to work, too!

After nearly a year of worrying about what the reunion would be like, and calculating the various tasks and chores, and perhaps dreading the thought of reliving high school again, I realized how wrong I was.

Although I never thought I quite fit in in high school, there was a strange familiarity I experienced during the reunion. Think about it. High school is the first time you really learn what it is like to exist in the adult world. It can be hard, cruel, scary, and confusing, but it also can be exhilarating as a first kiss, exciting as a new life, and breathtaking as a first drive.


It was so different, after being in a world where my every move is under a microscope to be with people who just know me as the girl they went to school with. It is deep to be with people you have history with. I'd forgotten that.

I suppose life made me a little jaded.

You can't go back, but you can look back, and then look forward knowing you are not the only one. There is a whole world out there of children born into the same generation you were.

I am going to make a promise that I will try harder to keep in touch with the people God sends to my life, because history is lived.