Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Thing You're Born To Do

Are you doing the thing you're born to do? If so, what is that thing? Is it more than one thing, at more than one moment? What would you wake up every morning and do for free?

It is a question I often ask myself, despite myself.

When I was eighteen, I wrote my college entrance essays, I listed about six things I wanted to do. I wanted to write. I wanted teach. I wanted to be in radio broadcast. I wanted to be in politics. I wanted to be an activist. I wanted to be a journalist.

I don't remember much else about the essay, but I do remember one line, "Don't be alarmed. I'm not confused. I know I will do all these things."

Now, ten years later, two weeks from my high school reunion, I know several things to be true.

1.) I severely overestimated how old 28 is. It isn't as old as I thought, and ten years went by surprisingly fast.

2.) Many of the things I thought were most important in life are not important at all.

3.) Many of the things I thought were least important are very important.

4.) Some things never change.


I have been fortunate in that I've been able to teach, and write, and work in politics and do many other things on my to do list. I've been able to do these things and do them well. Since I've become a Christian I feel it is my opportunity to allow God to use my gifts to help the world and others.

And yet, since I've become a Christian I have struggled with the search for my purpose. In one sense, it has been answered. As Christians our sole purpose is the spread the good news. The question is how will God use you.

This March, while recording word poem/music for a charity project with a close friend I realized I was doing what I was born to do. It was chilling moment; to know what you are born to do. I looked at my friend, and she looked at me, and we both were faced it; we would never be the same.

If money were no object I know that is what I would do.

What do you do with that? Especially given the fact that you have other talents and gifts, that you have to support yourself, and that there are many different ways that you can meet your purpose.

I believe God has allowed me to do many things so that I could be at peace when he revealed to me the kind of work he wants me to do in the world.

Maybe there is more than one method to meet your purpose. It will be interesting-- the discovering of it all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Lesbian naked pic teen basics of craps Weight loss ginger First time wife gangbang story Road racing horses craps category Ps1 harddrive Why is accutane so expensive Bmw steel blue wagon Mayberry tv show